Phone Scammers at It Again
SINGING RIVER ELECTRIC
Be Alert and Aware of Phone Scams
November 3, 2014
Information about the scam:
· Scam callers sometimes identify themselves as being from the correct utility and sometimes not. If you know you have Singing River Electric and they say they are calling from Mississippi Power, that is your first clue.
· Scam callers may show Singing River Electric on caller ID and may show a 1-800 number. SRE does not have a 1-800 number. All our phone numbers are local numbers and local offices.
· Scam callers tell members they are past due and often give a past due amount. (This amount may be correct or may not.)
· The victim is told to purchase a Moneypak prepaid card from a local Dollar General store or some like business and mail the card to a given address.
THIS IS A SCAM!
Facts about Singing River Electric:
· Singing River Electric CSRs DO NOT call members and demand or request payment and give ultimatum that the power will be disconnected without payment.
· Our CSRs DO NOT request or demand the member ever purchase a Moneypak prepaid card and mail it to an address.
· Singing River Electric members are mailed a billing statement with an addressed envelope each month.
· The payment may be returned in the enclosed addressed envelope, dropped off at office, paid by SmartHub mobile device, online, automatic draft from checking, or with the kiosk or drop boxes located at the three offices.
What to do if a scammer calls you?
· Hang up immediately!
· Call any SRE office or use the SmartHub app on your mobile device or website to confirm your balance and payment due.
· NEVER share your personal banking information.
· NEVER mail a Moneypak prepaid card to anywhere other than the address on the envelope included with billing statement as part of a payment on a SRE account.
· Call your local sheriff or police department to report the suspicious or theft activity.
· Like SRE on Facebook (Singing River Electric) and follow us on Twitter (SREPA). Tell your neighbor and spread the word to stop these scammers in their tracks!
· Website post about scam: http://bit.ly/10f8Aic
· Safe ways to pay your SRE bill: http://bit.ly/SREWaysToPay
Lorri Freeman, APR
Singing River Electric
Manager of Public Relations
11187 Old 63 South, P.O. Box 767, Lucedale, MS 39452
228-218-0840 (cell) 601-947-4211 (office) 601-947-3171 (fax)